In previous lessons we have studied a lot about Paul. We have seen things concerning Paul as a man, and things that he taught. In review, we will list some of the things we have seen about him.
1. We saw that Paul (who was also called Saul) was a religious person, before he was saved. He was very strong in standing in the Jew’s religion. Because he wasn’t saved, he did not believe that Jesus was the Son of God, nor the Saviour of the world. In fact, he persecuted all who did teach this. (Acts 7 and 8)
2. We saw that Paul was saved, and immediately wanted to do what the Lord desired him to do. God gave him a special commission. He was to go to the Jews first, and then the Gentiles. He also was given a special message to preach. (Acts 9)
3. Paul is the only one ever to be called “the apostle to the Gentiles.” He always spoke of himself as an “apostle to the Gentiles” or “apostle to the church.” (Acts 15; 13:46; 18:6; 28:28; Romans 11:13)
4. Paul preached a message that God gave to him; one that had never been given to any one before. This was a new message, not prophesied, but given by God for us today. This message is that there is one church today, the Church, the body of Christ. God sees us all one in Christ. He doesn’t see Jew or Gentile. We have all become one when we are in His Church, the body of Christ. (Ephesians 1:22-23; 2:13-18; 3:1-12; Colossians 1:15-19)
5. The message God gave to Paul to preach tells us that there is only one baptism for us today. This is the baptism by the Holy Spirit, as He baptizes us through the death of Christ into the one Church, the body of Christ. (Ephesians 4:4-6; 1 Corinthians 12:12-14; Romans 6:1-6)
7. God’s message to us, through Paul, is to “study” and “rightly divide the Word of truth.” We are to study and understand all the Scriptures, but realize which Scriptures are to us today. We should live and worship as our wonderful Saviour and Lord desires. (2 Timothy 2:15; 4:2;